Doulas are nothing new. They have been around for hundreds of years caring for and nurturing birthing people as they become mothers and parents. A doula is a childbirth expert who will guide you through your pregnancy journey. We are available for questions, provide referrals, support you in making educated decisions, educate on pregnancy and birthing options, help to prepare you for your birth and postpartum, create a birth plan, and generally make you feel safe, comfortable, and empowered during your pregnancy and birth. Doula support during your birthing time has statistically significant benefits as well. Doula supported births have 50% or fewer c-sections, a 12% increase of spontaneous vaginal birthing, a 10% decrease in major narcotic and opioid usage, 60% less epidural requests, 40% less pitocin administered, a 38% chance of a higher APGAR (healthier baby), 13% less transportation to NICU needed, a 25% shorter birthing time on average, a 38% decrease in birth trauma and dissatisfaction, and a better birth experience overall…which is priceless!
What’s included when hiring a doula?
- 2 or more prenatal visit – these visits may be in the home, at a provider’s office, or even to accompany you to a birthing class!
- Unlimited availability via call, text, or email throughout the pregnancy and up to three months postpartum
- Support in choosing a care provider aligned with your birthing goals
- Support in choosing the right birthing location for you and your birth
- Collaboration in creation of a birth plan
- On-call from 38 weeks until your baby’s birthday
- Arrival in early-active labor when your hospital or provider would not take you on yet
- Support you at home to keep you comfortable and assured
- Provide massage and position suggestions to you during birth to optimize your pelvic opening for baby to engage
- Education for breathing techniques for every stage of birth
- Provide support and guidance to your birth partner so they can rest, eat, get questions answered, support you physically and emotionally, and transition into parenthood with confidence
- Organize transfer to hospital or birthing center
- Provide critical knowledge of hospital protocols and certain procedures to allow you full confidence in your choices
- Advocate your birth preferences throughout the birthing process
- Provide education and space for you if interventions are being suggested that you don’t agree with or need time to discuss
- Continuous care for you during pregnancy, birth, and postpartum
- Help to clarify and explain medical terms and options
- Lactation support (if desired) with skin-to-skin right after birth
- 1 or more postpartum visits a few days after birth
Doulas are for ALL BIRTHS! Natural births, cesarean births, VBACs, epidural births, inductions, spontaneous vaginal births, all the meds, none of the meds, at home, in the hospital, at an awesome birth center, or however else YOU want to birth. We are there!
As doulas our role is to be sure our clients are educated, supported, safe, and empowered during their births. This means that their choices are heard, respected, and followed through with in all ways possible. Doulas support the rights and wishes of the birthing person continuously through the entire journey of pregnancy, birth, and postpartum. Meet your doula!